Dr. Miron-Shatz has over 60 publications in top academic journals, including Psychological Science, Health Psychology, Human Reproduction, Psycho-Oncology, Medicine, and Emotion, as well as book chapters in books published by Oxford University Press, MIT Press, Springer, and Wiley.
Dr. Miron-Shatz’s academic publications deal with medical decision making from multiple angles – information comprehension, digital inclusion, and the central role emotion plays in the doctor-patient connection, as well as in overcoming birth challenges.
Her work on happiness examined the role of thoughts—in general and around financial security—in determining how we feel. This evolved into an interest in thoughts around milestone birthdays, and several papers on how people evaluate products over time.
Below is a list of selected publications by Dr. Miron-Shatz. For more information, see her full CV, her Google Scholar profile, or her Academia.edu/ResearchGate profiles. For her non-academic writing, see her blog, Baffled by Numbers.
- Logan Schwarzman, Talya Miron-Shatz, Katherine Maki, Leon Hsueh, Eden Liu, Danit Tarashandegan, Felipe Mendez and Mladen I. Vidovich (2019). Shared Decision Making in Radial versus Femoral Catheterization. The American Journal of Cardiology, 124(2).
- Konheim-Kalkstein, Y.L. Miron-Shatz, T. & Israel. L.J. (2018). How Women Evaluate Birth Challenges: An Analysis of Online Birth Stories. JMIR Pediatrics and Parenting. 1(2):e12206.
- Miron-Shatz, T., Becker, S., Zaromb, F., Mertens, A., & Tsafrir, A. (2017). “A Phenomenal Person and Doctor”: Thank You Letters to Medical Care Providers. Interactive Journal of Medical Research, 6(2).
- Mertens, A., Brandl, C., Miron-Shatz, T., Schlick, C., Neumann, T., Kribben, A., … & Becker, S. (2016). A mobile application improves therapy-adherence rates in elderly patients undergoing rehabilitation: A crossover design study comparing documentation via iPad with paper-based control. Medicine, 95(36).
- Barnes, A. J., Hanoch, Y., Miron-Shatz, T., & Ozanne, E. M. (2016). Tailoring risk communication to improve comprehension: Do patient preferences help or hurt? Health Psychology, 35(9), 1007.
- Miron-Shatz, T., Bhargave, R., & Doniger, G. M. (2015). Milestone Age Affects the Role of Health and Emotions in Life Satisfaction: A Preliminary Inquiry. PloS One, 10(8), e0133254.
- Srebnik, N., Miron-Shatz, T., Rolison, J.J., Hanoch, Y., & Tsafrir, A. (2013). Physician recommendation for invasive prenatal testing: the case of the ‘precious baby’. Human Reproduction 28.11: 3007-3011.
- Kwan, V., Votruba, A., Miron-Shatz, T., Wojcik, S., & Olivola, C. (2012). Effects of Symptom Presentation Order on Perceived Disease Risk. Psychological Science, 23(4), 381-385.
- Himmelstein, M., Miron-Shatz, T., Hanoch, Y., & Gummerum, M. (2011). Over-the-counter cough and cold medicines for children: A comparison of UK and US parents’ parental usage, perception and trust in governmental health organization. Health, Risk, and Society, 13(5): 451-468.
- Miron-Shatz, T., Bowen, B., Diefenbach, M., Goldacre, B., Mühlhauser, I., Smith, R.S.W., Spiegelhalter, D., & Wegwarth, O. (2011). From blind acceptance to active inquiry: Jumping the barriers to Health Literacy. In G. Gigerenzer & J. A. M. Gray (Eds.). Better doctors, better patients, better decisions: Envisioning healthcare 2020. Strüngmann Forum Report (Vol. 6). Pp. 191-212. Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Elwyn, G., & Miron‐Shatz, T. (2010). Deliberation before determination: the definition and evaluation of good decision making. Health Expectations, 13(2), 139-147.
- Hanoch, Y., Miron-Shatz, T., Cole, H., Himmelstein, M., & Federman, A. D. (2010). Choice, numeracy and physicians-in-training performance: the case of Medicare Part D. Health Psychology, 29(4), 454-459.
- Miron-Shatz, T., Stone, A. A., & Kahneman, D. (2009). Memories of yesterday’s emotions: Does the valence of experience affect the memory-experience gap? Emotion 9(6),885-891.